This blog explores the journeys of Sephardic Jews from their Iberian home in Spain and Portugal to many places around the world including Northern Europe, North Africa, Turkey, the Far East and the Western Hemisphere. Based on research conducted on Fulbright grants to Portugal and Barbados as well as papers presented at international conferences, this blog seeks to uncover the path of the Sephardim in many unusual places.
Sunday, September 25, 2011
Following the Sephardim
Though I am a "typical" Ashkenazic Jew with ancestors from Poland, Belorussia and the Ukraine, I have always had a fascination about Sephardim. My first real contact with them came during my Junior Year Abroad at Hebrew University where I met many Israelis who came from places other than Eastern Europe. I loved their traditions and cuisine and saw myself becoming a "wannabe Sephardi". As the years went by, I spent time in places significant to Sephardic history such as in Portugal and the Caribbean. I visited their synagogues and researched their history, finding out how they managed to survive in very unlikely places. I hope to share my findings in this blog with photos and maps of their journeys and invite others to write in as well.
Labels:
Asia,
Brazil,
Caribbean,
Europe,
Inquisition,
Portugal,
sephardim,
Spain,
synagogues
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment